The history of grammar teaching
- A timeline for 4,000 years of grammar teaching
- My chapters and articles
- 2016: “Grammar Instruction.” In Handbook of Writing Research (Second Edition), edited by Charles MacArthur, Steve Graham, and Jill Fitzgerald, 288–300. New York: Guilford
2005: (with John Walmsley) The English Patient: English grammar and teaching in the twentieth century. Journal of Linguistics 41. 593–622.
2001: Grammar teaching and writing skills: the research evidence. Syntax in the Schools 17(1). 1–6.
- The history of grammar teaching in the context of the history of education in England.
- The history of grammar teaching in the Arabic-speaking world.
- The history of diagramming systems for syntax in schools.
- A collection of old exam papers for Foreign Languages.